DELTA DENTAL OF MISSOURI AWARDS OVER $428,000 IN ORAL HEALTH GRANTS TO AID INDIVIDUALS IN NEED
Organization Contributed $2.3 Million to Community Outreach Initiatives in 2020
ST. LOUIS, Mo. (Dec. 21, 2020) … To help meet dental health needs of children and adults, Delta Dental of Missouri – the state’s leading dental benefits provider – has announced it recently awarded more than $428,000 to support oral health initiatives, educational programs and charitable causes in Missouri and in South Carolina, where it also does business. The oral health grant funding is part of the non-profit company’s annual Mission Giving Program, which has contributed more than $2.3 million in support of community outreach initiatives in 2020.
“During this especially challenging year, so many of our neighbors are facing tremendous hardships,” said Rob Goren, president and chief executive officer at Delta Dental of Missouri. “Helping them access vital dental care is even more critical. Supporting organizations that align with our mission to improve oral health is one of the many ways we can help meet the needs of those in the communities we serve.”
Delta Dental of Missouri awarded $217,358 in oral health grant funding to the following Missouri organizations:
- Heartland Outreach Providers (Blue Springs) – received $75,000 to provide oral healthcare to children, adults and seniors in Jackson County who are uninsured or are on Medicaid.
- Spectrum Health Care (Columbia) – received $50,000 to provide restorative dental care for individuals with low incomes or without dental insurance.
- SWOPE Health Services (Kansas City) – received $34,483 to provide free dental screenings, education, fluoride varnish and preventive services in the Pediatric and Behavioral Health Services clinic areas of its Health Center.
- St. Louis County Library Foundation (St. Louis) – received $25,500 ($10,000 plus $15,500 for in-kind support) to further its Born to Read Program, which distributes materials with oral health information to parents during a child’s first year at eight St. Louis County hospitals.
- Hope House (Lee’s Summit) – received $17,410 to provide free dental care services to domestic violence survivors.
- SoutheastHEALTH Foundation (Cape Girardeau) – received $14,965 to provide free oral health care for underserved ventilated and non-ambulatory hospital patients, helping to reduce the number of hospital-acquired pneumonias in the healthcare system.
Delta Dental of Missouri also awarded $210,700 in grants to organizations in South Carolina.
In 2020, Delta Dental of Missouri’s total charitable contributions also included:
- $662,000 in funding as part of its first oral health grant cycle of the year.
- $500,000 to 11 non-profit organizations providing COVID-19 relief efforts in Missouri and South Carolina.
- $30,000 for the Dental Lifeline Network’s (DLN) Lifeline Heroes Challenge for Veterans campaign in Missouri and South Carolina.
- Funding for the launch of Delta Dental of Missouri’s new virtual Land of Smiles® educational experience in response to the continuing impact of COVID-19, which reached 74,924 children in 330 Missouri and South Carolina schools since October.
- Donations and free dental care supplies given to charitable and community organizations in Missouri and South Carolina, to help improve the oral health and overall health of residents.
Delta Dental of Missouri is currently accepting applications for the first grant cycle of its 2021 Oral Health Grant Program. To be eligible for an oral health grant from Delta Dental of Missouri, applicants in Missouri must first complete a letter of inquiry through the online application system at https://www.deltadentalmo.com/AboutUs/oral-health-grant-program, which includes program guidelines and application instructions. Online letters of inquiry are due on Friday, March 12, 2021, and online applications are due on Wednesday, March 24, 2021. Applicants must be considered tax-exempt under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, or be a public or governmental entity, such as a public school or health department, and serve the people of Missouri.
Delta Dental of Missouri is the state’s leading dental benefits provider and a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. It provides 1.9 million members with access to affordable, high-quality dental care through group plans tailored to meet the needs of organizations of all sizes, from large corporations to small businesses with two or more employees. Delta Dental also offers dental benefit plans directly to individuals and families. The company proudly supports oral health initiatives, educational programs and charitable causes that help educate people about the importance of dental health and provide free dental care to those in need. Delta Dental of Missouri also created the Missouri Dental Care Resource Guide to help individuals access information about low-cost and free dental care options in their area—available online at www.DeltaDentalMO.com/ResourceGuide1. To learn more about the company, visit www.DeltaDentalMO.com.