February 01, 2017
Looking for a healthy snack to munch on during the big game? This Guaca-Bowl-e Nachos Stadium Recipe will be the life of party.
- 8 ripe fresh avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 5 black olives, pitted
- 8 baby carrots
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro, reserve 10 additional leaves for garnish
- 1 bag (13 oz.) tortilla chips
- 4 cups shredded sharp cheddar or jalapeño jack cheese
- 2 small bell peppers, different colors, seeded and cut into small squares to resemble flags
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
1. Heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl combine 7 avocados, lime juice, onion, jalapeño pepper, and garlic. Mash to desired consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. Transfer the guacamole into a 6-cup rectangular dish (or aluminum foil carry-out container); smooth out the top with the back of a spoon.
2. Place the dish of guacamole in the center of a large platter or tray. Scoop the sour cream into a small plastic bag. Snip a tiny piece from the corner; pipe lines on the guacamole to resemble a football field. Pipe lines on one olive to resemble a football; place in center of the field.
3. Pare down one end of each of 4 baby carrots and fit one end of each carrot into one of the remaining black olives to make football players with helmets; press “players” into the field. Slice remaining 4 carrots crosswise and reserve for garnish.
4. Sprinkle the edges of the guacamole with chopped cilantro.
5. Place half of the tortilla chips on two large foil-lined, baking sheets. Top with half of the cheese and bell peppers. Top with remaining chips, cheese and peppers. Bake 3 to 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
6. Working quickly, place the tortilla chips around the guacamole, mounding them up on the outside edges to appear as stadium seating.
7. Sprinkle chips with radishes, remaining cilantro leaves, baby carrots and chopped scallion. Cube remaining avocado; add to nachos as garnish.
Recipe and photo credit: https://www.avocadocentral.com/avocado-recipes/super-guacabowle-nachos